Holy Rosary Chapel
Mass is celebrated at the Chapel every Saturday at 4:00 P.M.
History of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Church
Written by Rev. Barry W. Wall
Fall River’s earliest Italians resided in the center of the city and therefore attended St. Mary’s Church where fortunately for them Father Christopher Hughes, pastor from 1887 to 1908, was fluent in Italian. As the Italian community continued to grow Bishop Matthew Harkins sent an Italian priest, Father Roberto Parrillo, to Fall River late in 1902; accepting the hospitality of the pastor of St. Roch’s Church on Pine Street he gathered his people there until the church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary of Pompeii was built on Beattie Street. The lower church was blessed by Bishop William Stang, the first Bishop of Fall River, on July 10, 1904 along with a statue of Our Lady of Mt Carmel which was joyfully carried in procession to the church. The upper church was completed and dedicated by Bishop Daniel F. Feehan on November 28, 1915.
Monsignor Joseph R. Pannoni, a native of the parish served as pastor from 1948 to his retirement in 1971. He was succeeded by his assistant, Father Vincent F. Diaferio who spent forty years at Holy Rosary Parish, from his ordination in 1958 until his sudden death in 1998. Holy Rosary Parish ceased to be a separate entity in 2008 and the church and parishioners were placed in the care of St. Mary’s Cathedral Parish. The marble statue of St. Joseph, given by parishioners to commemorate Monsignor Pannoni’s pastorate has been moved to a landscaped site overlooking the Cathedral Church and Rectory at Second and Rodman Streets.